Hair thinning or balding is a common problem especially amongst men but found to be increasing amongst women. Most of the time, this problem is caused by hormonal imbalance and due to genes that run in the family. Elevated hormones such as testosterone and genetic factors are found to be contributing factors to hair thinning in men. This problem can be very debilitating as hair thinning can affect someone’s appearance as good hair plays a significant role in boosting one’s confidence and maintaining one’s mood. This is why “Bad hair day” is a worrying thought to some people and they will do their best to avoid the day from coming. Fortunately, with the advancement of technology, hair transplant surgery plays a big role as a solution to the problem.
Hair transplantation surgery is a procedure done to treat hair thinning or balding in men and women by transferring hair from the back of the scalp to the area where hair can no longer grow. It is also a restoration procedure that is done by experts to treat hair loss due to burns, injuries or diseases of the scalp. The process starts after 2 months and it completes within 8 to 10 months.
There are various ways of performing hair transplantation. Some require a meticulous technique such as extraction and replantation of a single hair in the balding area which will give the best result and some involve stripping the skin and replanting to the designated area but may leave a scar that will be minimized by a good surgeon.
Advantages of the procedure are numerous.
- Since the procedure involves transplantation of your own hair. Thus, it grows naturally with original hair colour and texture.
- The advanced surgical procedure has produced good results which are permanent and excellent.
- The procedure does not use a chemical which is completely safe and natural. Friends and families will not be able to tell that you have a hair transplant.
- Hair is mostly manageable and it is safe to be reconstructed with new colouring, treatment and style.
- One’s appearance can look younger, fresher and loaded with confidence.
The disadvantages of the procedure include:
- This procedure is not suitable for candidates with the genetic contribution of hair loss especially if they are in their 20s. The problem may persist and this may require the procedure to be repeated.
- Since the procedure uses local anaesthetics, there is a possibility of having some risk of adverse effects from the medications.
- Candidate needs to have healthy hair at the donor site. Therefore, the success of the procedure depends on the quality of the hair from the existing donor site.
- The recovery period is not overnight and it may take up to 10 months.
There is always risk and benefit to any procedure and it is our role to foresee if the procedure is worth the risk or the benefits would outweigh the risks imposed from the procedure.
All in all, transplant helps to restore the bald area and boost one’s confidence which is fundamental in surviving life successfully. For more information about Hair Transplant Surgery, click on the link Hair Transplant by Mediviron.